Maritime London’s mission is to promote the UK as the world’s premier maritime business centre.
Maritime London objectives in support of the mission are:
- To represent collectively and raise the profile of maritime professional business services
- To facilitate new business for members through trade promotion
- To attract shipowners, operators and cargo interests to the UK
- To build upon historic and present-day advantages of the UK as the pre-eminent base for international maritime professional business services
- To assure a professional maritime skills base through the encouragement, recruitment and retention of British seafarers
- To promote British maritime training and education
- To encourage networking between its members in order to build closer contacts
- To organise industry events aimed at bringing members up-to-date on recent developments in the maritime industry
Membership of Maritime London is open to any company, organisation or individual that is able to demonstrate support for the UK’s maritime services sector on a global basis.
The Board of Directors is elected by and drawn from the diverse membership giving Maritime London its direction. This is augmented by two member only meetings each year where suggestions and ideas for the future are received.
We work closely with the following organisations:
- Department for International Trade (DIT) – is a government agency which works with UK-based businesses to ensure their success in international markets by promoting and financing international trade and investment, and championing free trade.
- TheCityUK – Whose purpose is to promote the competitiveness of UK financial services to make the UK the best place in the world to establish and grow a financial services business and, in turn, to maximise the sector’s contribution to the UK.
- City of London – Providing local government services for the financial and commercial heart of Britain, the ‘Square Mile’. It is committed to supporting and promoting ‘The City’ as the world leader in international finance and business services facilitating contracts with overseas jurisdictions, for example the Chinese powerhouse.
- Sea Vision UK – The national on-going campaign to raise awareness and understanding of the sea, maritime activities and the maritime sector amongst young people.
- Maritime UK – Bringing together the shipping, ports and maritime business services sectors in the UK to speak with a single voice on key strategic and practical issues of joint interest, particularly to HM Government.
- Economic and Information Technology Commission of Shanghai Pudong New Area – Maritime London signed a MoU in April 2011 to promote the relationship between the two parties. This gives Maritime London members access to high-level contacts within Shanghai increasing exposure to the Chinese markets. It also provides assistance in developing increase trade between the two communities.
- Maritime & Finance Excellence Center (MFE Center) – Maritime London is also cooperating closely with the Shanghai MFE Center, which is seeking to build up a maritime cluster in the city.