Posted on: 9 May 2016
Eminent figures from across the shipping industry gathered in London’s Guildhall on Friday, May 6 to honour the achievements of the past year and the distinguished careers of winners at the 28th Seatrade Awards.
The prestigious evening, attended by more than 300 of the industry’s leading personalities, was hosted by Editor of Seatrade Maritime Review, Bob Jaques, in the presence of the guest of honour, IMO Secretary-General Kitack Lim.
Among those collecting awards were key industry names that included:
- Mr Philippe Louis-Dreyfus OBE, Chairman, Louis Dreyfus Armateurs received the Seatrade Lifetime Achievement Award;
- Mr Jorge L. Quijano, CEO, Panama Canal Authority who received the Seatrade Personality Award;
- Stavroula Betsakou, received the Seatrade Young Person in Shipping Award;
- Philip Pascoe accepted the Seatrade Award for Countering Piracy on behalf of the Maritime Trade Information Sharing Centre – Gulf of Guinea whilst Special Commendation was given to Kuwait Oil Tanker Company (KOTC) and accepted by Jamal Al Ali;
- Andrew Baldwin, Head of CARE and Customer Change, Carnival UK, accepted the Seatrade Global Performer Award on behalf of Carnival Corporation and plc
- Peter Hinchliffe OBE accepted the IMO Themed Award 2016 ‘Shipping: indispensable to the world’ award.
IMO Secretary-General Kitack Lim commented: “Each year shipping faces an ocean of challenges. Some planned and some unpredictable. It is our task, together, to navigate these with all the skill, dedication and cooperation that we can muster. This is why it is so encouraging to have these Seatrade Awards as a vital reminder of shipping’s ability to tap into rich currents of innovation and excellence, because by recognising and celebrating those who have demonstrated a clear ability to make improvements in key areas such as safety at sea and clean shipping, others may be encouraged to strive for similar achievements.”
The awards, in time old tradition, remain a secret until the night and are unveiled to great fanfare and celebration. See here for other Seatrade Awards 2016 winners.